Saturday, January 27, 2007

Cinema(tography) Paradiso

As a student of cinematography, I shall be learning about lenses & optics, cameras & camcorders, lighting and fixtures, film development and post production, image and editing softwares, video formats, compression techniques and much more on the technical aspect and subjects like script writing, production design, visual sense, film appreciation and direction on the creative side...whew, seems like a whole lot of things, doesn't it?

Each day dawns with the realisation of how much is to be learnt and understood and sets wearily with the dissatisfaction of how much less could be done in a day. I mean there are movies to be watched, dissected and chewed and ruminated; principles of light and lenses to be thoroughly grasped and digested;so many books that have be tasted and assimiliated; the websites sampled for their unique flavors and lots more....it is almost overwhelming at times when I think about the quality of work that has to be presented at the end of this couse...with the kind of training we are receiving it will be no wonder that we will be expected to present something smashing and I am not really sure if I will be able to stand to those expectations...only time will tell.

But the intimidating nature of the course is just one aspect of my life here. I have begun to learn the local language too. I have got a new cycle too; helps me to get around in the neighbourhood especially on the weekends. But more importantly I must say that these days, I have a strange sense of bliss within me...it is like I am finally beginning to make sense of things, my own dreams and the events that have led up to here....feels a little like heaven....it is like the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place....

I cannot completely explain what it is now but one day I will have the complete picture and know how the elements of the Universe conspired in getting me where I wanted to go....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have a strange sense of bliss within me...", "feels a little like heaven...."

Good to hear these words from you... I hope this bliss just magnifies with time as you get deeper into the course.

Happy for you,
Vartika.

Anonymous said...

... completely agree with Varti ... and pray the same for you Arch ... way to go champ :)

Anonymous said...

Same here, Arch....
Just a suggestion, try to post your learnings from this course....not word to word....but, you know, a brief summary of what goes into making a wonderful movie...

Savita Nagaraj said...

Hey Arch...

I'm so happy for you...and proud of you...coz ur one gal, who has followed her dreams...and I'm sure they will see reality...coz there is not just light...there is SUN at the end of the tunnel...

love u arch...
Savita

PS: Dont forget my item number wid abhishek bachchan... :)

Unknown said...

Didnt I say earlier

Beneath the earth a seed is dancing, with its virtues unknown…
For the hard ground holds the masses together, get pierced by a little sprout’s desire to see beyond

Unknown said...

way to go gal! u got no clue how proud i feel wen i tell people ur story n in da end i associate u with me!!!
"Its when a person races towards his destiny, everything in his life aligns itself in the right way"

Loads of Love and Luck,
Jade